1. Help Centre
  2. Japan Travel Information

Customs and Duty Free (Japan)

When you enter Japan, you are requested to hand in the “Customs Declaration” form of both your accompanied and unaccompanied baggage at the Customs Clearance. “Customs Declaration” forms are available on the plane or at the Customs office. Travellers aged 20 or older can bring 400 non-Japanese cigarettes and three bottles (760cc each) of alcohol duty-free into Japan. Tourists can also bring in goods for personal use – purchased abroad – whose total market value is less than 200,000 Yen. There is no limit to the amount of any currency that may be brought into or taken out of Japan. However, if you carry cash or other means of payment exceeding 1,000,000 Yen (or equivalent in another currency) on entry and/or exit, you must complete a customs declaration.

When you purchase articles at specified “tax-free” shops, Japan’s 8% consumption tax on those articles may be exempted on the condition that you are a foreign tourist, who is in Japan for less than 6 months, and that the articles are taken out of Japan. You need to show your passport with a valid entry stamp, on the same day, at the store where you want to apply for a tax refund. The consumption tax will be refunded for general items and consumable items with a purchase amount of 5,000 Yen (without tax) or more in each category.

Australian passengers: www.homeaffairs.gov.au
New Zealand passengers: www.customs.govt.nz

Correct as of August 2019


Next: Customer Health and Safety